Job Location: Atlantic Council Headquarters – Washington, DC
Employment Type: Full-Time
Seniority Level: Assistant
Job Category: Staff
The Atlantic Council’s Middle East Programs seek a motivated, talented, and creative communications professional who is eager to develop strong media campaigns and product promotion strategies surrounding some of today’s most critical Middle East policy issues. They will support efforts to generate positive media attention for the Centers’ publications, events, experts, and policy initiatives through the use of traditional and new media, marketing of events and publications, and development of relationships with journalists. Working under the deputy director for communications and alongside blog editors and other communications assistants, they will manage social media accounts and content, update program webpages, produce and edit multimedia content, draft weekly and monthly newsletters, arrange payments to contractors, among other communications related tasks.
The ideal candidate will have experience with communications strategies, social media campaigns, website maintenance, e-mail marketing and a background or serious interest in foreign policy related to the Middle East. They will provide operational and administrative support for all facets of communications-related activities for the Middle East Programs. Opportunities to publish their own writing on Atlantic Council platforms may also be available.
Digital & social media:
- Manage several social media accounts on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook and other platforms as needed.
- Track social media analytics and provide recommendations to increase followers and reach.
- Create or commission graphics and info graphics as needed for social and print media use.
- Create videos and other interactive content for specific events, publication releases, and initiative announcements as well as overall program highlights.
- Ensure templates for event invitations and publication announcements are cohesive and consistent with AC style and branding.
- Provide training on communications related platforms and tools to team members.
- Assist with fielding press requests, sending media tip sheets, and drafting press releases.
- Assemble media engagement reports for internal and external stakeholders following high profile events.
- Assist with drafting promotional materials and ensure conformity to Atlantic Council style.
- Track all program staff and nonresident fellow media engagement and ensure regular updating on website.
- Coordinate with relevant team members to implement a comms strategy for each publication release including webpage. development media outreach, social media and multimedia content.
- Support blog editor in posting blogs, selecting photos, and promoting published blogs on social media.
- Ensure payments to blog contributors are provided in a timely fashion.
- Oversee weekly and monthly e-mail marketing promoting program publications and highlighting rapid response to breaking news.
- Design and maintain Center and initiative marketing collateral in coordination with communications team.
- Train team members on any new website features or updates.
- Working with relevant team members, ensure program presence on Atlantic Council website is regularly updated and conforms to AC. style, including staff and nonresident fellow bios, center and initiative pages, and publication and event pages.
- Track website analytics and provide regular recommendations on improving viewership and readership.
- Work with relevant team members to ensure new initiatives and projects have a dedicated presence on AC website.
- Proactively seek out ways to improve program presence on the website by exploring other center pages, available customization options, etc.
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, International Relations, Foreign Affairs or related field.
- Excellent English language written and oral communication skills; Arabic skills highly desired.
- Strong social media proficiency, particularly within the professional context.
- Experience with WordPress and Pardot highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience or serious interest in the Middle East and North Africa, particularly with an American and European foreign policy lens.
- Understanding of Washington policy environment.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work well with a team in a dynamic environment and ability to work independently and proactively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work well with senior officials, scholars, journalists, staff, and interns.
Through our Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East and Scowcroft Middle East Security Initiative, the Atlantic Council works with allies and partners in Europe and the wider Middle East to protect US interests, build peace and security, and unlock the human potential of the region.
All Atlantic Council employees are required to adhere to the Atlantic Council’s vaccination policy. All Atlantic Council employees must be fully vaccinated and boosted, and they must submit proof of both vaccination and COVID-19 booster shot on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement through human resources and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.
Please note: The Atlantic Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics covered by applicable law. The Atlantic Council is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation for all qualified individuals and bases all employment decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need. The Atlantic Council believes that diversity and inclusion amongst our team members are critical to our success as a global organization and seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. For more information, check out our Talent DEI Statement or connect with us at [email protected]. Eligibility to work in the United States is confirmed with E-Verify; employment at the Atlantic Council is eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). Thank you for your interest in the Atlantic Council.