Job Location: Atlantic Council Headquarters – Washington, DC
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Category: Digital Forensic Research Lab
About the DFRLab:
The Digital Forensic Research Lab (DFRLab) is a start-up incubated at the Atlantic Council. We’re different than most think tank teams, and we like it that way!
Join our fast-paced and truly global team, as we work to further the DFRLab’s mission:
To promote objective fact as a foundation of government for and by people, to protect democratic institutions and norms from those who would undermine them online and to identify, expose, and explain disinformation when and where it occurs;
To create a new model of expertise adapted for impact and real-world results;
To identify, expose, and explain disinformation where and when it occurs; to promote objective as a foundation of government for and by people; to protect democratic institutions and norms from those who would seek to undermine them in the digital engagement space.
The DFRLab is at the forefront of open source research with a focus on governance, security, technology, media, and where each intersect. These unprecedented methods allow us to inform the public and policy makers on issues such as protracted conflicts, breaking crisis, and human rights violations, in a uniquely human and tangible way.
We’re doing a different kind of work and creating new industry standards that account for a paradigm shift in the way humans connect with each other and consume information.
And we’re growing a digitally native publication to match that ambition.
The most important part of adapting for impact is how we communicate our work, tell our story, and measure our impact. Our Assistant Director for Digital Communications will play an integral role in growing our team and our work.
The DFRLab is building a movement. We hope you’ll be a part of it.
We are currently hiring to start as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the successful candidate has been selected. Please include links to two or three work samples in your cover letter. Salary is commensurate upon experience, and the position will be based in Washington, DC.
- Execute a comprehensive strategy for short, medium, and long-term audience growth and engagement across digital platforms (email, social media, web).
- Ensure that DFRLab branding and voice is consistent across digital platforms and in designed products.
- Manage IT and security procedures for the global DFRLab team, ensuring that the entire team is protected from vulnerabilities.
- Build out monthly email calendars for routine newsletters, event invites, and reports.
- Build multiple emails each week in a marketing automation platform, ensuring quality and timeliness from initial build through to hitting send.
- Build out weekly social media content calendars for the DFRLab’s accounts, planning ahead to incorporate trainings from around the world, published articles, and event promotion throughout the week.
- Engage with the disinformation community (#DigitalSherlocks) as DFRLab on social media, specifically Twitter.
- Educate researchers on social media best practices in order to help them build their own following and credibility.
- Update the DFRLab’s website as needed, including new reports, staff bios, event information, etc.
- Track metrics across all digital platforms and produce weekly and monthly reports to show increased engagement with DFRLab’s work.
- Active on social media with a high degree of digital literacy, following the latest trends and tactics for audience engagement.
- Experience in audience growth and engagement across digital platforms.
- Experience drafting content for public-facing digital platforms, whether that’s email, social media, or web.
- Familiarity with email platforms, from creating drafts to proofreading and hitting send.
- 2-4 years managing social media accounts in a fast-paced work environment.
- Experience with website management (WordPress or others).
- Ability to track metrics for social media platforms, email, and website and to pull them together into a coherent outreach strategy.
- Passionate about the intersection of foreign policy, media, and tech.
Strongly Desired Qualifications:
- Work experience in graphic design and video production.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects).
- Knowledge of email best practices: managing and segmenting contact lists, A/B testing, building in HTML, recruiting email subscribers, etc.
- Familiarity with Salesforce/Pardot or other similar contact management systems.
- Experience with executing digital ads campaigns on social media platforms and web.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and website development.