Job Location: Atlantic Council Headquarters – Washington, DC
Position Type: Full-Time
Education Level: Bachelor Degree
Job Category: Events
About the Atlantic Council
Driven by our mission of “working together to secure the future,” the Atlantic Council promotes constructive leadership and engagement in international affairs based on the Atlantic Community’s central role in meeting global challenges. The Council provides an essential forum for navigating the dramatic economic and political changes defining the twenty-first century in order to adapt, revitalize, and defend the international rules-based order. Through the papers we write, the ideas we generate, and the communities we build, the Council shapes policy choices and strategies to create a more secure and prosperous world.
Our focus on results attracts an extended network of global citizens who join our community of influence. For heads of state and government, the Council is a powerful platform for connecting with a uniquely relevant audience. Businesses find a place for understanding our rapidly evolving world, its impacts on markets, and means to contribute to the public interest. For global strategists, we are a vehicle to navigate the trends shaping the future.
The Council’s fourteen programs and centers work together in a way that mirrors how real policy is created: not in a vacuum, but in a collaborative effort that draws from a range of expertise to address multiple issues and steered by an over-arching strategy and worldview.
The Atlantic Council community believes that by working together, we can and should secure a better global future. Succeeding in our mission requires the hard work of building consensus, including rather than excluding partners, while also broadening awareness of our mission’s importance among the public and preparing a new generation of leaders to take up the mantle of fostering a better global future.
The position will be based in Washington, DC or – for the right candidate who wants to work remotely or is based in Silicon Valley or a similar tech startup hub – will require periodic travel to DC (not to exceed 20% of a given month). Management of remote work and teleworking teams will be required, to include occasional odd hours as circumstances require. When conditions permit, international travel will also occur. The Atlantic Council offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
The Atlantic Council of the United States is an equal opportunity employer.
The Atlantic Council seeks a talented, dynamic and entrepreneurial individual to support the planning and production of live events. The ideal candidate will have experience producing in-person and virtual events with high-level speakers and constituencies.
A successful candidate must communicate effectively, and enjoy the fast-paced team work, under the pressure of time. The position requires a superior ability to multitask with a record of coordinating projects and events, excellent administrative and communication skills, superior writing ability, attention to detail, positive attitude, and knowledge of diplomatic protocol rules. The qualified candidate will manage onsite and virtual events in order to ensure smooth operations and a consistently high level of quality. They will manage event budgets and vendors for a wide variety of Atlantic Council events as well as work closely with program staff in the planning of events and act as a liaison between the programs and vendor contacts to assist in securing banquet event orders, diagrams, contracts and cost estimates. They will also work with building security to streamline guest check in process of all event participants and guests. The successful candidate will work with program staff on VIP seating for lunches and dinners as well as protocol issues.
The Atlantic Council offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
- Advise on production choreography and visuals for live events that translate to high-quality productions
- Briefs speakers and assists lead stage manager handling re-sets, seating assignments per speaker titles/rank, as well as production timing
- Prepare briefing memos and proposals, and draft event material such as speaker invitations, event invitations, talking points, and additional writing assignments, as necessary
- Coordinates onsite and virtual events, including coordinating VIP arrivals, departures, security measures, guest management, and AV coordination
- Produce weekly email newsletter to the Atlantic Council community
- Support global flagship events when necessary, including production, travel logistics, VIP managements, etc. as necessary
- Coordinates with the Executive Office and the Office of External Relations on VIP attendees (Heads of State, government officials, ambassadors and other members of the diplomatic corp, CEOs, Board of Directors) to ensure they are received and managed with respect to protocol and other requirements
- Prepares event budgets and manages vendor relationships, including caterers
- Negotiates contracts for offsite events
- Works with security details of domestic and foreign government officials to coordinate holding rooms, private entrance and exit points and additional security measures
- Assists Events Team in the performing administrative tasks, when necessary
- 2-5 years of professional event experience in a related field are required
- Interest in transatlantic relations and the Atlantic Community and in the core mission of the Atlantic Council
- Research and writing skills in the areas of international relations
- Superior communication skills; candidate must be able to communicate and interact with all levels of staff and senior diplomatic officials
- Ability to represent the Atlantic Council to external constituencies, such as senior officials, board members, donors, and individual and corporate members
- Excellent organizational, logistical, and administrative skills
- Ability to travel internationally; overseas experience is preferred
- Foreign language is preferred
- Ability to work irregular hours and evenings
- B.A. degree required