Job Location: Atlantic Council Headquarters – Washington, DC
Employment Type: Full-Time
Seniority Level: Associate
Job Category: Staff
The Atlantic Council’s Middle East Program seeks a talented, motivated, and creative communications leader who will develop and lead comprehensive communications strategies to build and amplify the Middle East Program’s brand, events, publications, and experts. The deputy director for communications will manage a growing team of communications assistants, blog editor, and consultants and lead the expansion of innovative multimedia efforts and social media presence. The deputy director will oversee the continued development and growth of media relationships and direct rapid response efforts to ensure Atlantic Council expertise is featured in breaking news. The deputy director will work with several initiatives to edit long form publications, develop a communications strategy for events and report releases, and provide strategic guidance on special projects such as regional conferences and podcasts.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience working in or on the Middle East through a career in journalism, public relations, or a similar area and come to the position with a well-established network of contacts in the US and international media space. An understanding of and connections to the media space in the MENA region is highly desired.
- Draft and execute an annual communications strategy for the center
- Create and maintain an editorial calendar aligned with the Center’s priorities that is designed to expand the impact and audiences of our work
- Develop and track metrics and measure the impact of the Program’s communications strategy through analytics reports
- Draft custom communications plans for special events such as conferences, dialogues, or galas
- Contribute to Atlantic Council communications team efforts, as needed
- Maintain robust network of media contacts across different platforms through regular meetings and engagements
- Craft messaging, talking points, and press releases for media engagements and announcements related to our work and partnerships
- Curate specialized media lists
- Edit and pitch op-eds
- Prepare staff and fellows for interviews and media engagements
Social and Multimedia
- Oversee all social media accounts and ensure accuracy, adherence to AC-style and industry best practices
- Ensure a consistent voice and specialized approach for each social media network
- Oversee the design of multimedia products for special events, presentations, and promotions
- Work closely with the center staff and fellows to coordinate, project-manage, and shape the editorial direction of publications from conception to launch and promotion.
- Help streamline the Center’s publications process, make it more digital-first, and launch and sustain new, innovative formats and templates.
- Edit and proofread publications and all marketing materials to a high standard, removing errors, improving quality, creating professional copy consistent with the Council’s style guide and editorial guidelines, and maximizing impact.
- Serve as a main point of leadership for editorial standards and quality.
- Oversee blog editor, communications assistant and comms consultants such as copy editors, video editors, podcast production staff, etc.
- Work with Atlantic Council-wide communications team to facilitate knowledge sharing and access to AC-wide materials, resources, and policies.
- 6-10 years of full-time relevant work experience in public relations, marketing, journalism and/or digital communications
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills
- Excellent organizational and verbal communication skills
- Expertise in traditional and social media
- Excellent English language written and oral communication skills; Arabic fluency highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience and/or interest in and knowledge of the Middle East policy landscape
- Experience working in international and multi-stakeholder environments is a plus
- Experience in WordPress or similar content management systems
- Familiarity with content analytics, including Google Analytics and Twitter
- Self-starting, proactive attitude
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work well with a team in a dynamic environment
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in a related field
- Strong interpersonal skills; must be able to work well with senior officials, scholars, journalists, staff, and interns
Through our Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East and Scowcroft Middle East Security Initiative, the Atlantic Council works with allies and partners in Europe and the wider Middle East to protect US interests, build peace and security, and unlock the human potential of the region.
All Atlantic Council employees are required to adhere to the Atlantic Council’s vaccination policy. All Atlantic Council employees must be fully vaccinated and boosted, and they must submit proof of both vaccination and COVID-19 booster shot on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement through human resources and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.
Please note: The Atlantic Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics covered by applicable law. The Atlantic Council is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation for all qualified individuals and bases all employment decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need. The Atlantic Council believes that diversity and inclusion amongst our team members are critical to our success as a global organization and seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. For more information, check out our Talent DEI Statement or connect with us at [email protected]. Eligibility to work in the United States is confirmed with E-Verify; employment at the Atlantic Council is eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). Thank you for your interest in the Atlantic Council.