Job Location: Atlantic Council Headquarters – Washington, DC
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Category: Events
The Atlantic Council seeks a talented, dynamic, and entrepreneurial individual with a background in business development, marketing, and relationship management with senior executives to build a significant new business line around the Council’s world-class convening. This individual will 1) develop and implement strategies to generate new lines of revenue through the organization’s renowned convenings that combine timely content with global thought-leaders and 2) execute cultivation and high-level events with the organization’s stakeholders. To accomplish each goal, the candidate will work closely with the Events and Development departments along with the organization’s leadership, Communications team, and various programs and centers.
A successful candidate must communicate collaboratively and effectively across teams and cultures, enjoy fast-paced team work under the pressure of time, and have some knowledge and passion for international affairs. The position requires a superior ability to multitask with a record of coordinating projects and events, superior writing, close attention to detail, and knowledge of business development. The ideal candidate will have experience with event sales and creating and implementing strategies to cultivate and market new business, including outside the United States. To be successful the candidate must be a self-starter, innovative, entrepreneurial, collegial, curious, and efficient.
The Atlantic Council offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
Sales & Business Development
- Create and execute a strategy to generate revenue through events, including through sponsorships, partnerships, and content creation
- Work with the Development Team, Events Team, and the Executive Office to assess and, if applicable, implement new organization-wide initiatives as an additional fundraising tool
- Work with the organization’s programs and centers to prepare template and customized event budgets for maximum growth
- Work with the Events Team to establish vendor partnerships and agreements, including for venues, catering, florists, hotels, etc.
- Negotiates agreements with partners for on- and offsite events
- Assess new strategies to fundraise through events with pre-existing partners and identify new prospects
- Coordinate sponsorship management with the Development Team and the organization’s programs and centers
- Work with graphic designer to ensure event display accurately represents the Atlantic Council brand
- Manage the ordering and tracking of event inventory include collateral, giveaways, etc.
- Manage the event partnerships budget, including invoicing, tracking, and monitoring of expenses
- Manage cultivation and stakeholder events in Washington, DC, New York City, and other domestic and international locations
- Implement creative and innovative event formats to appeal to potential sponsors and stakeholders
- Assists Events Team with production in major flagship events, including award dinners and global forums both domestic and international
- B.A. degree required
- 7-10 years of professional event experience in a related field are required
- Proven record of generating business, working experience as a sales manager
- Superior communication skills; candidate must be able to communicate and interact with all levels of staff and senior officials, including across cultures
- Experience with managing a budget
- Proven ability to develop marketing strategies and communicate recommendations to executives
- Ability to represent the Atlantic Council to external constituencies, such as senior officials, board members, donors, and individual and corporate members
- Excellent organizational, logistical, and administrative skills
- Research and writing skills in the areas of international relations
- Ability to work irregular hours and evenings
- Interest in international affairs, policy issues, and in the mission of the Atlantic Council
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in a highly dynamic, geographically diverse, and rapidly changing environment
Please note: Atlantic Council is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Atlantic Council is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Thank you for your interest in the Atlantic Council.