Job Location: Atlantic Council Headquarters – Washington, DC
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Category: Rafik Hariri Center & Middle East programs
The Atlantic Council’s Middle East Programs seek a motivated, talented, and creative communications professional who is eager to develop strong media campaigns and product promotion strategies surrounding some of today’s most critical Middle East policy issues. S/he will support efforts to generate positive media attention for the Centers’ publications, events, and policy initiatives through the use of traditional and new media, marketing of events and publications, and development of relationships with journalists. S/he will coordinate all communications efforts between the full-time staff, nonresident fellows, and media outlets.
The ideal candidate will have experience with social media campaigns, website maintenance, e-mail marketing, working with journalists, and a background or serious interest in foreign policy related to the Middle East and US foreign policy toward the region. S/he will provide strategic leadership and operational and administrative support for all facets of communications-related activities for the Middle East Programs. Opportunities to publish his/her own writing on Atlantic Council platforms may also be available.
S/he will report to the Deputy Director of the Middle East Programs and will also coordinate his/her work with the Atlantic Council’s Communications Department.
Strategic planning and project management:
- Establish processes for various types of media engagement from ongoing work to breaking news responses
- Draft and execute a comprehensive communications strategy to amplify the work of the Middle East programs’ expertise, publications, events, and initiatives to various audiences including the general public, policy community, and relevant audiences in the MENA region
- Identify opportunities to position MEP experts in broadcast and media outlets;
- Actively reach out to journalists and develop media lists of specific country and thematic issues covered by the MEP team;
- Assist with fielding press requests, sending media tip sheets, and preparing staff for interviews;
- Draft press releases announcing new MEP initiatives, publications, staff, and important events;
- Assemble media engagement reports for internal and external stakeholders following high profile MEP events;
- Proofread promotional materials drafted by MEP staff to conform to Atlantic Council style;
- Assist with drafting media materials as needed;
- Track all MEP staff and nonresident fellow media engagement and ensure regular updating on website
- Oversee long-form publications process by providing initial editing, liaising with comms team and MEP program managers on drafts, layout, photo selection, branding, and website and print publication.
- Support Managing Editor in editing and publishing blogs, selecting photos, etc.
- Oversee creation of weekly e-mail marketing promoting MEP publications and highlighting MEP quick response to breaking news
- Design and maintain Center and initiative marketing collateral in coordination with communications team
Digital & social media:
- Manage MEP social media accounts, primarily Twitter but including Facebook and other platforms as needed
- Create or commission graphics and info graphics as needed for social and print media use
- Track social media analytics and provide recommendations to increase followers and reach
- Ensure MEP presence on the AC website is regularly updated and conforms to AC style, including staff and nonresident fellow bios, center and initiative pages, and publication and event pages.
- Track website analytics and provide regular recommendations on improving viewership and readership
- Ensure past initiatives and content is migrated to new website and easily accessible
- Proactively seek out ways to improve MEP presence on the website
- 2+ years of relevant work experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, International Relations, Foreign Affairs or related field;
- Excellent English language written and oral communication skills; Arabic skills highly desired.
- Strong social media proficiency, particularly within the professional context;
- Experience with WordPress and Pardot highly desired;
- Press background highly desired;
- Demonstrated experience or serious interest in the Middle East and North Africa, particularly with an American and European foreign policy lens;
- Understanding of Washington policy environment;
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with high attention to detail;
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work well with a team in a dynamic environment and ability to work independently and proactively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work well with senior officials, scholars, journalists, staff, and interns.