In a public address at the Atlantic Council, Tunisian President Mohamed Moncef Marzouki urgently called on the United States and its Western partners to support his countryâ€™s fight against terrorism. He warned that without their help to secure the country in the run-up to elections, terrorists will seek to destabilize the country, and thereby threaten Tunisiaâ€™s transition to democracy.
Marzouki cautioned that without international support against terrorism in Tunisia, â€śyou can say goodbye to democracy in the Arab world for a century.â€ť
Argentina failed to meet its deadline for interest payments on $13 billion of securities bonds due in 2033, resulting in the countryâ€™s second default since 2001. Reaction from Atlantic Council experts:
â€śNearly a decade ago, Argentina and 93 percent of its bondholders agreed to a deal that Argentina has so far respected. The remaining 7 percent are looking to force Argentina into making large payments on bonds they bought for pennies,â€ť said Peter Schechter, director of the Adrienne Arsht Latin America Center. â€śWhile Argentinaâ€™s financial behavior has not been stellar, the vulture funds are now the ones thrusting a stick into the spokes of the international financial communityâ€™s bicycle wheels. Argentina has been making some slow progress; the small group of holdouts is now going to derail that. This will cause serious financial, political and, most importantly, human pain,â€ť said Schechter.
Fayyad to speak on Gaza crisis at July 31 Atlantic Council event in DC
WASHINGTON - The Atlantic Council today named Dr. Salam Fayyad, former prime minister of the Palestinian Authority, as Atlantic Council distinguished statesman in its Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security.
Dr. Fayyad will address issues such as the Israeli-Palestinian relationship and the peace process, regional security, including the rise of nonstate actors and related challenges, renewable energy, and economic development issues.
â€śIâ€™m thrilled to welcome Prime Minister Fayyad to the Council and to our Scowcroft Centerâ€™s important Middle East Peace and Security Initiative,â€ť said Frederick Kempe, Atlantic Council president and CEO. â€śHis vast expertise and very impressive record will help the Council to further contribute to critical policy discussions and decision-making in one of the worldâ€™s most volatile regions.â€ť
â€śEasing US Sanctions on Iran ,â€ť by Kenneth Katzman of the Congressional Research Service, examines actions the United States could take to wind down sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic beginning with the 1979 revolution and ratcheted up over the past decade as a means to deter the development of Iranâ€™s nuclear program.
A new Atlantic Council report warns that although the Algerian government has effectively maintained the status quo and avoided its own Arab Spring, it risks future instability if it does not commit to serious political and economic reforms.
In â€śNo Arab Spring for Algeria,â€ť Mohsin Khan and Karim Mezran, senior fellows at the Atlantic Councilâ€™s Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East, examine the conditions that have helped Algeria to avoid the upheavals that rocked neighboring countries in North Africa, and assess whether it can remain immune to the pressures that brought down governments in Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt.
A new Atlantic Council issue brief maps key considerations as Yemen embarks on the next stage in its political evolutionâ€”the transition from a unitary to federal state system, as outlined by the final agreement from the multistakeholder National Dialogue Conference.
In â€śThe Challenge of Federalism in Yemen,â€ť Rafat Al-Akhali, nonresident fellow at the Atlantic Councilâ€™s Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East based in Sanaâ€™a, Yemen, explains that a decentralized system of authority could address the core challenges of corruption, poor social services, and lack of accountability. Yet, the author notes that the most critical issues were not decided during the National Dialogue, such as how natural resources and revenues will be managed, which now falls to the newly established constitution drafting body to determine. While the broad outlines of a six-region federal system was agreed upon by the primary political powers, the real challenge lies in the practical implementation of a new multistate and multitier system of government and how to divide authorities among local, state, regional, and federal government levels.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Atlantic Council is pleased to announce Ricardo Sennes, one of the world's leading experts on Brazil, as a new nonresident senior Brazil fellow at the Adrienne Arsht Latin America Center. Sennes offers comprehensive analysis on the new Brazil, as well as the country's strategic position within global affairs, and its key relationships with the United States and Europe.