As the global community continues to grapple with the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Atlantic Council is open for business. Our business, meetings, and events, however, are occurring virtually. For more information, please read an update from our President and CEO.
As it asserts its influence across the globe, China poses a serious challenge to a rules-based, democratic order. How can the US and other leading democracies coordinate a strategic response to the China challenge?
Please join UK Member of Parliament Tom Tugendhat, US Senator James Risch, EU MEP Kati Piri, Australian MP Andrew Hastie and other legislators from leading democracies for a hearing on China and prospects for developing a coordinated D-10 strategy for dealing with Beijing.
This event will take place on Wednesday, December 9, 2020 from 8:30 – 9:45 am EST.
The event will be entirely virtual, and participants will receive a link to participate via Zoom upon submitting their RSVP. Make your voice heard on Twitter using the hashtag #FWC2020.
Comprised of influential legislators from leading democracies across Europe, North America, and the Asia-Pacific, the Free World Commission seeks to focus attention on challenges facing the free world, particularly those posed by China and Russia; and reaffirm the need to stand together with allies and partners to defend democracy and advance shared values and a rules-based order. The Commission was launched at the Munich Security Conference this past February.
Commission members and participants
- Rep. Mike Gallagher, Representative, Member of the House Armed Services Committee, United States
- MP Andrew Hastie, Member of Parliament, Chairman of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence, Australia
- Rep. Tom Malinowski, Representative, Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, United States
- MEP Kati Piri, Member of Parliament, Member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, European Parliament
- MP Lia Quartapelle Procopio, Member of the Chamber of Deputies, Secretary of the House Committee on Foreign and Community Affairs, Italy
- Sen. James Risch, Senator, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, United States
- MP Sven Spengemann, Member of Parliament, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Canada
- MP Tom Tugendhat, Member of Parliament, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, United Kingdom
- Mr. Carl Gershman, President, National Endowment for Democracy
- Mr. Frederick Kempe, President and CEO, Atlantic Council
- Dr. Kurt Campbell, Former Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs; Chairman and CEO, The Asia Group
- Ms. Margaret McCuaig-Johnston, Senior Fellow, Institute for Science, Society and Policy, University of Ottawa
- Amb. Boris Ruge, Vice-Chairman, Munich Security Conference