On November 8th, the Atlantic Council’s Iran Task Force launched its first Issue Brief, “The Iran Stalemate and the Need for Strategic Patience,” authored by journalist and Iran expert, Barbara Slavin.
Download the PDF
Calling for “strategic patience” the report outlined recommendations to U.S. policy towards Iran. Task Force Co-Chairs, Ambassador Stuart Eizenstat and Senator Chuck Hagel, presided over the event, with Barbara Slavin leading the discussion. The Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center Director, Shuja Nawaz, moderated.
About the Iran Task Force
The Iran Task Force is co-chaired by Atlantic Council Chairman Senator Chuck Hagel and Ambassador Stuart Eizenstat. The Iran Task Force seeks to perform a comprehensive analysis of Iran’s internal political landscape, as well as its role in the region and globally, to assess whether there are any elements within the country and region that can build the basis for an improved relationship with the West and how these elements, if they exist, could be utilized by U.S. policymakers. The Task Force was launched in February of 2010 with support from the Ploughshares Fund.
Iran Task Force Briefings:
- Iran Task Force Briefing Five: A Conversation with Stuart Levey
- Iran Task Force Briefing Four: Negotiating with Iran in an International Context
- Iran Task Force Briefing Three: Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel B. Poneman
- Iran Task Force Briefing Two: Opposition Movements in Iran
- Iran Task Force Briefing One: Can There Be Another Iran?
Iran Task Force Publications:
- Iran Sanctions: Preferable to War but No Silver Bullet
- “Strategically Lonely” Iran Exploits Opportunities for Regional Influence
- The Iran Stalemate and the Need for Strategic Patience
Iran Task Force Issue Brief Launches:
- Iran Symposium and Launch of Iran Sanctions: Preferable to War but no Silver Bullet
- Issue Brief Launch: “‘Strategically Lonely’ Iran Exploits Opportunities for Regional Influence”
- Iran Issue Brief Launch: The Iran Stalemate
For more writings and news items, please visit the Iran Task Force page.