Nonresident Senior Fellow, Dinu Patriciu Eurasia Center
TopicsEuropean Energy Security, Global Business & Economics, Technology, US Energy Policy
Read Full Bio
- December 12, 2017It’s hard to keep the faith in Ukraine, given the attempts to claw back reforms and repeated attacks against anticorruption activists.But a successful Pakistani-born businessman, Mohammad Zahoor, isn’t giving up on Ukraine. He owns The Kyiv Post, a twenty-year-old English language…
- December 01, 2017In March 1980, former President Jimmy Carter announced sanctions against the Soviet Union and a boycott of the Moscow Olympics in protest against its invasion of Afghanistan.“We call for the moving of the Olympics or the delay of the Olympics…
- November 22, 2017On November 24, 1933, the Soviet Union threw a lavish dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel for 1,500 in honor of President Franklin Roosevelt’s recognition of the Soviet Union. They feasted on fancy wines, caviar, and Boeuf Stroganoff, then later…
- November 08, 2017In April 2015, Ukrainian-born pianist Valentina Lisitsa was to perform Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra. But the concert was abruptly canceled because she expressed, to her huge online following, hurtful anti-Ukrainian messages and support for…
- October 31, 2017Prime Minister Volodymyr Groisman welcomes the creation of an independent anticorruption court in Ukraine and says it will be operating in 2018.“The debate was whether this court should be independent or a chamber. This was a waste of time,” he…
Ms. Francis is an expert on Silicon Valley, future technology, geopolitics, energy, business, and white collar crime, and has written ten books covering government corruption, business fraud, money laundering, politics, immigration, and economics. Her most recent book, Merger of the Century: Why Canada and America Should Become One Country, posits that both countries should combine in order to combat Russia, China, and the Asian Tigers' emerging economies
She has traveled and covered major news events including the fall of the Berlin Wall, the dismantling of the Soviet Union, Ukraine's Orange Revolution, the biggest boiler room stock fraud in Amsterdam, Mandela's ascension to power in South Africa, the Colombian cocaine trade, and the Quebec referendum on separation from Canada, to name some highlights.
She divides her time between New York City and Toronto, where she is active on various charitable and corporate boards.