March 22, 2016
REPORT LAUNCH: Securing Ukraine’s Energy Sector
By Dinu Patriciu Eurasia Center
After Dr. Åslund presented his report, a moderated discussion took place with Olga Bielkova, Member of Parliament and Deputy Head of the Energy Committee, Ukrainian Parliament; Edward Chow, Senior Fellow, Energy and National Security Program, Center for Strategic and International Studies; and Steve Nicandros, Chairman and CEO, Frontera Resources Corporation. The panel was introduced and moderated by Richard Morningstar, Founding Director and Chairman, Global Energy Center, Atlantic Council, addressing the following questions and beyond:
• Will Ukraine be able to meet some of the economic and political reforms that are recommended in Securing Ukraine’s Energy Sector report? If so, which reforms should be prioritized by Ukrainian government?
• Should Ukraine hold elections to reform its energy sector and create a more stable government?
• How should the Ukrainian government reorganize Naftogaz without creating news issues in the energy sector?
• Is Ukraine’s social network strong enough to withstand the elimination of government subsidies on energy?
• What does Ukraine need to do to reduce or stop buying gas from Russia?
View the webcast below: