From Matthew Chance and Nic Robertson, CNN: Kyrgyzstan will investigate allegations that government troops were involved in ethnic violence, an official said Sunday.
Col. Kursan Asanov, appointed by the Kyrgyz interim government to run the reconciliation operation in the southern city of Osh, did not say whether the investigation would include independent investigators.
Asanov said that a government-imposed curfew in Osh that was due to expire Sunday had been extended to Friday. The curfew stretches from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. (10 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET).
Ethnic violence between Kyrgyz and Uzbeks has displaced 300,000 people inside Kyrgyzstan and forced 100,000 more to flee Kyrgyzstan, the office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees estimated. …
The Kyrgyz news agency Kabar said Friday that 191 people died in the violence but Roza Otunbayeva, the acting president of Kyrgyzstan, said that toll should be multiplied by 10, according to the Russian news website Kommersant. She said many deaths in the countryside were not part of the official total of yet.
Refugees fleeing Kyrgyzstan’s surge of ethnic violence have accused the central Asian nation’s security forces of carrying out some of the deadly attacks. (photo: AFP/Getty Images)