On May 3rd 2011, the Atlantic Council hosted its Annual Awards Dinner, which launched the Council’s 50th anniversary celebrations. As in the previous years, we honored distinguished international leaders and their versatile contributions to the strengthening of the transatlantic relationship. Vice President Joe Biden provided the Distinguished International Leadership keynote address.
The Atlantic Council Distinguished Military Leadership Award was presented to Admiral James G. Stavridis, USN, Supreme Allied Commander Europe for the role he has played in service to our nation and his commitment to the security and promotion of the transatlantic alliance.
We presented our Distinguished Business Leadership Award to Chairman of the Board and CEO of Coca-Cola Muhtar Kent for the role he has played at one of the world’s most respected global and philanthropic companies and throughout a career that included crucial jobs during the transition to free markets in the former Soviet bloc.
Our Distinguished Artistic Leadership Award was given to leading tenor, Placido Domingo, whose music and humanitarian accomplishments have resonated around the globe. The night will also commemorate his achievements as the General Director of the Washington National Opera in advance of his departure in June.
The evening also featured the launch of the Brent Scowcroft Center and the Rafik Hariri Center with Mr. Frederick Kempe, General James L. Jones, Mr. George Lund, General Brent Scowcroft, and Mr. Bahaa Hariri.
New Atlanticist Commentary:
- 2011 Awards Dinner: You Had to Be There
- Biden: Transatlantic Relationship as Central as it Has Ever Been
- Biden: Congress Knew of Bin Laden Mission for Months, No Leaks
- 2011 Awards Dinner Highlights
- Biden On Bin Laden – Up Take Video
- Brzezinski cracks jokes, but Biden gets serious – Nikki Schwab, Katy Adams and Eddie Scarry, Washington Examiner
- CIA hints ‘gruesome’ photo of dead Osama bin Laden could be released – Herald Sun
- Joe Biden opens his mouth about US Navy SEALs – Toby Harnden, The Telegraph
- Biden hails effort to kill bin Laden – News Talk ZB
- More Details Released On Bin Laden Strike, Fox Detroit
- Proactive thinking for a “proactive” century – Clayton M. McCleskey, The Dallas Morning News
- US think tank honors Turkish business professional – Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review
- VP thanks Hill for not leaking plan – MJ Lee, Politico
- Biden’s First Remarks on Death of OBL: Breathtaking, Staggering Undertaking – Arlette Saenz, ABC News
- Biden amazed bin Laden raid plans kept secret – Mark Knoller, CBS News
- Biden: “Amazing” That Bin Laden Plans Not Leaked – Staff, National Journal
- Panetta says he thinks bin Laden photo eventually will be released – Jason Hanna, CNN
- Biden Praises Bipartisan Pursuit of bin Laden – Kelly Chernenkoff, Fox News