In a luncheon hosted by the Atlantic Council at the offices of Chadbourne & Parke LLP in New York, President Viktor Yushchenko spoke about the challenges facing Ukraine in the wake of the Georgian crisis. Along with fellow dignitaries and guests, Mr. Yushchenko also spoke about Ukrainian-Russian relations and the domestic political situation facing Ukraine.
Mr. Yushchenko, who is in New York ahead of the UN General Assembly’s 63rd annual high-level debate, talked at length about the challenges facing Ukraine and stressed his desire for further integration with Europe and NATO following the collapse of the ruling coalition last week. The president’s visit comes at a turning-point for Ukraine, where political divisions over Georgia, Russia and the Black Sea Fleet have been put into sharp focus in recent weeks.
President Saakashvili of Georgia also spoke at an event hosted by the Council in wake of the Russian invasion last month.
This event was generously hosted by Chadbourne & Park LLP.
Notable Guests and Dignitaries
- H.E. Victor Yushchenko – President of Ukraine
- H.E. Oleh Shamsur – Ukrainian Ambassador to the United States
- William G. Miller – Former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine
- George Pataki – Former Governor of New York
- Robert Thomson – Managing Editor, Wall Street Journal
- Chrystia Freeland – Managing Editor, Financial Times