On September 23, the Atlantic Council’s International Security Program held a discussion with Lieutenant-General Walter Semianiw.
As the United States and the Western world continue to reevaluate defense strategies and priorities, regional cooperation becomes more important than ever before. Canada, as one of our strongest allies and trading partners, will no doubt have a significant role in the security of the North American continent. As defense budgets are slashed, the arctic becomes more strategically important, and terrorists continue in their attempt to exploit porous borders, the coming decades will require significant cooperation between the United States and Canada.
Since the attacks on the United States in September 2001, Canada has made significant investments to enhance its armed forces’ focus on North American security. In keeping with its mission, Canada Command routinely works with US Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) to keep not only Canada, but the entire region, safe. Lieutenant-General Semianiw will discuss the Canadian Forces’ increasing role in North American security and the implications for the United States and our allies.
A discussion with
Director, International Security Program
Director-Designate, Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security
Commanders Series Discussions:
- Lieutenant General Mark Hertling, USA, Commanding General, US Army Europe and Seventh Army
- Major General Rich Mills USMC, Former Commander of International Security Assistance Force, Regional Command Southwest
- Sir Stephen Dalton, Chief of the Air Staff of Britain’s Royal Air Force
- Admiral James Stavridis,USN, SACEUR, and Secretary Madeleine Albright, Former U.S. Secretary of State
- General Stéphane Abrial, French Air Force, Commander, Allied Command Transformation
- General Kip Ward, USA, Commander, U.S. Africa Command
- General Jean-Louis Georgelin, French Army, Chief of Defense of France
- Admiral Timothy Keating, USN, Commander, U.S. Pacific Command
- General George W. Casey, Jr., USA, Chief of Staff
- General John Craddock, USA, Supreme Allied Commander Europe, NATO and Commander, U.S. European Command
- General David McKiernan, USA, Commander, ISAF and Commander, U.S. Forces Afghanistan
This Commanders Series event is generously supported by Saab AB