WASHINGTON, DC – The Atlantic Council Strategy Initiative within the Brent Scowcroft Center on International Security launched in 2015 to provide a blueprint for the next administration as it confronts the myriad global challenges facing the world today. As the Trump administration takes shape in the coming days and weeks, the Atlantic Council has a collection of papers on a range of issues available both to prospective members of the Trump administration and the public from a bipartisan group of leading foreign policy thinkers. Featuring reports in issues including global finance, state building, US-Iran relations, energy security, and the National Security Council from prominent voices such as former National Security Advisor Brent Scowcroft, Governor Jon. M. Huntsman, Jr., former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, Ambassador Thomas Pickering, Ambassador James B. Cunningham, and Ellen Laipson, the Atlantic Council Strategy Papers offer concrete proposals for the next administration that emphasize proactive, effective, and efficient approaches to the national security challenges facing the United States and the world.
The following Atlantic Council Strategy Papers are currently available:
- Global Risks 2035: The Search for a New Normal by Mathew J. Burrows (Foreword: Brent Scowcroft)
- Dynamic Stability: US Strategy for a World in Transition by Barry Pavel and Peter Engelke with Alex Ward (Foreword: Brent Scowcroft)
- Shape, Steer, and Sustain: A US Strategy for the New Global Economic Order by Robert D. Hormats (Foreword: Jon M. Huntsman, Jr.)
- Autocracies Failed and Unfailed: Limited Strategies for State Building by Stephen D. Krasner (Foreword: James B. Cunningham)
- A New Strategy for US-Iran Relations in Transition by Ellen Laipson (Foreword: Chuck Hagel)
- A US Strategy for Sustainable Energy Security by David Koranyi (Foreword: Chuck Hagel)
- Toward a New National Security Space Strategy: Time for a Strategic Rebalancing by Theresa Hitchens and Joan Johnson-Freese (Foreword: James E. Cartwright)
The Strategy Initiative has also published a significant study on rethinking the National Security Council for a new administration:
- A Foundational Proposal for the Next Administration by Chester A. Crocker, Daniel Levin, David C. Miller, Jr., and Thomas Pickering (Foreword: Brent Scowcroft)
Additional Atlantic Council Strategy Papers will be released in 2017 and will address key strategic issues the new administration must confront, including: cyber security, countering violent extremism, and regional strategies for areas of the world including Africa, Latin America, Asia, and Europe.
For more information on the Atlantic Council Strategy Papers series, please email [email protected].
The Atlantic Council is a nonpartisan organization that promotes constructive US leadership and engagement in international affairs based on the central role of the Atlantic community in meeting today’s global challenges. For more information, please visit AtlanticCouncil.org and follow us on Twitter @AtlanticCouncil.