As the global community continues to grapple with the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Atlantic Council is open for business. Our business, meetings, and events, however, are occurring virtually. For more information, please read an update from our President and CEO.
In partnership with Unibap, the Atlantic Council’s GeoTech Center invites you to tune-in to a virtual side meeting on 5 August, from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. EDT. The lively discussion features a distinguished panel of experts to address the topic of On-Orbit AI and Cloud Computing.
The conversation looks into the opportunities afforded by on-orbit AI and cloud computing. Questions that the panelists will answer include:
- What impacts on business models and geopolitical decisions will a higher degree of timely global information from intelligent processing on earth observation and remote sensing give?
- Will a capability of on-board autonomy operations and automated mission planning be key enablers to provide timely, low-latency and low-cost user information? Are there differences if you consider constellations of smaller satellites or a few larger more capable satellites?
- How will future science, exploration missions, and human settlements on the Moon and Mars benefit from a higher degree of on-orbit AI and cloud computing?
- Will we see the same driving forces behind on-orbit cloud computing services as we have experienced for cloud computing for ground-based services?
- Will the capability for on-orbit cloud technologies bring forward an echo system of applications that can be deployed with high flexibility supported by new commercial models (i.e. pay-as-you-go)?
A video introducing the SpaceCloud system solution for Machine Learning and Cloud Computing is included below. The video, produced by Unibap and its US partners, provides additional information on how capabilities for near real-time processing and AI can be utilized on a 6U CubeSat in the NASA HyTI mission.
Dr. Peter Wegner
Chief Strategy Officer
John W. Hines
f.m. Chief Technologist
NASA Ames Research Center
Head of Philab Explore Office
European Space Agency
Principal Design Researcher, Office of the CTO
Senior Manager, Aerospace and Satellite Solutions Unit
Amazon Web Services
Dr. David Bray
Director, GeoTech Center
Dr. Fredrik Bruhn
Nonresident Senior Fellow, GeoTech Center
Championing new technologies and data to benefit people, prosperity, and peace.